Explore the Best Things to Do in Austin Near 6th Street
- ACL Live at The Moody Theater
- 6th Street Entertainment District
- South Congress Avenue
- 2nd Street District
- Antone's Nightclub
- Austin Community College
- Austin Convention Center
- Barton Springs Pool
- Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum and IMAX Theatre
- Consulate of Mexico
- Dell Computer Corporation
- Freescale Corporate
- Huston-Tillotson University
- Lady Bird Lake
- Palmer Events Center
- Paramount Theater
- State Capitol Complex
- The Long Center for the Performing Arts
- The University of Texas
- University Medical Center Brackenridge
- Whole Foods Headquarters
- ZACH Theatre
- Zilker Metropolitan Park
How To Get Here
Conveniently located in the heart of the city, The Westin Austin Downtown's central location will allow you to visit a multitude of Austin’s unique and intriguing attractions.
Downtown Austin is brimming with places to visit and things to do that will interest visitors of all ages. To help make the most of your trip, review our favorite attractions, below, and discover some of the best things to do during your visit. Once you’re done exploring, retire to our hotel and enjoy drinks at Azul, our rooftop pool bar or tantalizing Southern cuisine at our on-site restaurant, Stella San Jac.
Visit 6th Street, the Texas State Capitol, and More
Live Music and Performing Arts Attractions
- Antone’s Nightclub: Thriving after nearly 40 years, this local blues club helped kick-start the careers of music legends like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Gary Clark Jr. The club is conveniently located across the street from our hotel and is a staple in the Austin blues scene.
- ACL Live at The Moody Theatre: This venue is home base for the award-winning PBS music show, Austin City Limits. As one of the city’s premier live performance destinations, Moody Theatre also hosts roughly 100 concerts per year.
- The Paramount Theatre: Built in 1915, the storied history of The Paramount Theatre is one still in the making. The theatre is one of Austin’s first (and longest running) performing arts venues. Despite renovations made throughout the years, it has maintained its twentieth-century charm.
- The Long Center: This venue features an eclectic program of performing arts—from ballet and opera to Shakespeare, stand-up comedy and outdoor concerts. The Long Center is located along scenic Lady Bird Lake.
- 6th Street: This iconic street is in the heart of Austin’s entertainment district. Get a taste of Austin culture by exploring the live entertainment, comedy clubs, galleries, restaurants, food trucks, and so much more!
Check out our Guitar 101 Package
Park, Lakes and Outdoor Attractions
- Zilker Park: Located minutes from our hotel, this popular destination features 351 acres of open space, trails, gardens and natural springs. The park hosts the much-anticipated Austin City Limits Music Festival every fall, as well as other community events like the Zilker Kite Festival in spring and the Trail of Lights around the winter holidays.
- Barton Springs Pool at Zilker Park: This popular swimming hole is one of Austin’s freshwater gems. Fed from underground springs (which you can find near the diving board), the pool is a constant 68-degrees year-round, making it an ideal spot for swimmers no matter the air temperature outside.
- Lady Bird Lake: Adjacent to Zilker Park lies Lady Bird Lake (formerly Town Lake). Motorized watercrafts are not allowed on this lake, which makes it one of the most popular destinations for personal water sports like kayaking, canoeing, and paddle boarding. Its location as downtown’s southern border means it is accessible to Austinites across the city.
- Butler Hike and Bike Trail at Lady Bird Lake: On the banks of Lady Bird Lake sits the hike and bike trail, one of the best places in downtown Austin to enjoy scenic views while walking, jogging, or biking. In total, the trail is just over 10 miles and the perfect destination for guests looking for outdoor exercise or wanting to take a leisurely stroll surrounded by nature in the heart of the city.
Check out our Wellness & Weekend Savings Packages
Romantic and Quirky Attractions
- Visit Austin’s Best Murals: The “I Love You So Much” mural is, first and foremost, a love letter painted on the side of Jo’s Hot Coffee on South Congress in 2010. Since then, the wall has gone viral, becoming a popular destination for couples to have their picture taken. There’s also the “You’re My Butter Half” mural (located at 2000 E. MLK Jr. Blvd.), the “Hi, How Are You?” frog on The Drag by UT (at 21st and Guadalupe), and the HOPE Outdoor Gallery on Baylor Street, a community paint park that serves as the biggest mural in Austin!
- Congress Avenue Bridge Bats: In the spirit of keeping things weird, we should mention that March-November is bat season here in Austin. Watching the largest urban colony of Mexican free-tailed bats in North America emerge from beneath the bridge at dusk is incredible, uniquely Austin, and a must-see event!
- Zilker Botanical Garden: Take a leisurely stroll through wildflowers, butterflies, koi ponds, and even a recreated local dinosaur habitat within Zilker Botanical Garden’s 26 acres, often called “the jewel in the heart of Austin.”
Check out our I Love You So Much Package
WESTIN AUSTIN DOWNTOWN IS NEAR THE BEST THINGS TO DO IN DOWNTOWN AUSTIN
Our downtown hotel is conveniently located near all the best things to do in Austin. Whether you are looking for something to do today, or planning for an upcoming weekend visit, you'll find a wealth of interesting activities and attractions nearby. What’s more, our well-appointed accommodations provide you with the modern conveniences of home.